Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My Finance: Staying on top of Medical Bills and Insurance Companies


My twin girls were born late last year. I have been having the biggest ordeal with my insurance companies over

the medical bills for the girls and myself. I had a very problematic pregnancy and was in the hospital several times. The medical bills for the 3 of us were no joke! Princess was in the hospital for a little more than 3 weeks after she was born. Diva remained in the hospital only a week or so. The hospital bill, not including the doctor's bill, radiology lab, or anything else was over $20,000.00 before my insurance paid. The bill for Princess was about $65,000.00 before insurance.


I have been disputing my health insurance company and the hospital for over 7 months about the medical bills--mainly billing errors on the part of the hospital. I have gotten frustrated and fed up with talking to so many different representatives from the hospital and insurance company that I just wanted to give up and scream! But when I thought about all the money I pay in insurance premiums, it was enough to fight on! On this past Monday, I saw VICTORY!

All the bills that were supposed to be paid by my insurance company that didn't get paid, finally were paid by my insurance company!


If you have a dispute with your insurance company or medical provider, fight it to the end! I even had to wrestle with collection agencies who my accounts had been sent to because my insurance company had not paid! Make sure you keep a record of who you talk to and the time of day it is and that date. Ask for a reference number for the telephone call. If the insurance company turns down your claim, don't just end it there. Appeal their decision. Black Enterprise

magazine had an article in their May 2008 Edition entitled "How to Fight Your Insurance Company-and win" I couldn't find the article on their website, but you may want to try to google it and chekc it out.


My Life, My Love, My Finance


Love ya,

Ms. HM

1 comments:

Dushaun Branch said...

WAY TO GO MS. HM!!! THAT IS TRULY A VICTORY!!!! I AM GRATEFUL FOR YOU!!!