Friday, June 13, 2008

My Love: Why Don't Father's Get the Same Love as Mothers on Father's Day?


Father's Day is this weekend, and many blogs and radio shows are focusing on it. I'm currently listening to the Michael Baisden Show and he asked a question that got me thinking. The question was, "Why don't people get as excited about their father as they do their mother?" My first thought was that a lot of people don't have a father or a father figure to look up to, so their father and mother are one in the same.
Then I thought about all the great TV Dads. There was James from Good Times, Bill Cosby from the Cosby Show, Danny Tanner from Full House, George Jefferson from the Jefferson Show, Carl Winslow from Family Matters, and many more. To me, James was the ultimate TV dad. No matter what the situation was, he kept the family together and kept his wife and kids clothed, fed, and educated. I wish we had more dads like that today. Danny Tanner was the example of the Single TV dad raising 3 daughers with the help of his family. I could go on and on about the rest of the dads I mentioned, but I'll spare you.
My dad is and always has been wonderful to me and my siblings. I am eternally grateful to him. I believe that I am the woman I am today in large part because of him. I do not know what it is like not to have a father. I think my family makes a big deal out of Father's Day just like we do Mother's Day. My question to you is, do you think society makes a bigger deal out of Mother's Day than they do Father's Day?

1 comments:

Jazzy said...

The reality is that, many households are being run by single parents - women...so I could totally understand why Mother's Day is a bigger deal.