Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'M REAL GROWN NOW! I'VE GOT THE CAR INSURANCE TO PROVE IT!



A few days ago I blogged about having to buy a new vehicle. At the time, it was still an idea I was toying with, now it is full blown reality and yes, I now have the car note and car insurance to prove it. Well, it's a used vehicle, or as the salesman told me, the new "politicaly correct" term is "pre--owned." I mean, does it really matter? Used or pre-owned, it is still new to me.



I won't tell you exactly what type of vehicle (it's not the one pictured above) I bought, but with the number of kids and other family members I have, I ended up having to get a BIG SUV. Yes, I am fully aware of the fact that gas is fast approaching $4.00 a gallon, and no, my SUV is not the most gas efficient but I did get a pretty good deal on it considering the low mileage and all of the extras that it has. Now reality is seriously setting in since for the first time in my adult life, I have to pay for my own car insurance. Yeah, I know, I'm approaching the 30 years of age mark, and I have never had to pay for my own insurance. I am blessed to have good parents who have paid my car insurance since I started driving. As a matter of fact, they bought my last few vehicles. I gave them back the one that I had. I really wanted to keep it since the gas mileage is better than my new SUV, but the least I could do was to give it back to them since they graciously gave it to me.



Now I must admit to you that I am SCARED out of my mind to have all of this financial responsibility. Yes, I can afford it BUT the whole car note and car insurance is new to me. I must admit that it has caused me to save money big time in other areas of my life. I discussed on last week the amount of money I was spending a month on coffee. I have started making my own coffee at home! I no longer spend $1.43 everyday to go to the convenient store and buy it. Okay, I did backslide on Monday and I bought some because I forgot my cup of coffee at home. But otherwise, I'm doing just fine. I'm cutting out the number of trips I make out of town and I've started staying at the office for lunch instead of leaving and driving all the way home. I just put a sign on my office door that says "At Lunch, Be Out in an Hour", LOL! Anyway, I'll talk more with you later on this.



My Life, My Love, My Finance



Love ya,



Ms. High Maintenance

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new car. Yes purchasing a car is a big deal and has a lot of expenses, note, insurance, upkeep, GAS. You'll do fine!

Anonymous said...

Congrats also, but watch that gas with that SUV. I got rid of mine for a hybrid and my wife went for a gasp... mini-van because she wanted space for all of the kids. She wrote a post about, you should check it out, very funny.